Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Ali's Developments

I really have to find a way to get some conversations with Ali on video. She is incredible and developing so quickly! Since being in the UK and now the US for almost 6 weeks, her English has progressed rapidly. She is now very communicative and puts together sentences and is much happier as she is usually able to express herself to all of us. She's still shy (especially if a stranger strikes up a conversation and asks something like, 'what's your name?' or 'how old are you?') but that doesn't bother me. I'd much rather have a shy kid than one that is too chatty as I'd be afraid that she'd just go off with anyone. I love how Ali runs over to me, grabs my leg and often buries her face into me if someone even looks at her for too long!

As of this week, she has officially entered the WHY stage. I was not prepared and thought this was more in the age 3 category but c'est la vie. The 'why' questions are endless! I can't say anything to get her to stop with the 'why' follow up but that's okay. We'll survive.

As of this week, she's also officially dropped one of her most popular words: 'Hol?' This means 'where' in Hungarian and she used to (it still slips in occasionally) use it at the start of every question whether it was 'where', 'how' or 'when'. Today I just heard her say, "Where are the boats?" instead of "Hol a boats?" like she was saying last week. 5 weeks ago she was saying the entire sentence in Hungarian... It's going to take her a couple of weeks to get her mind back into Hungarian but I'm not worried at all. She'll return to Hungarian nursery school shortly after our return.

Her sentences are now up to about 6 or 7 words so we are really enjoying this time. Sometimes the words are in a different order but she always makes sense. And, we have proof that it's not just us understanding as we've had lots of friends and family (about 27 total) visiting us here at the beach and they all seem to understand her too. It's really fun to listen to her and we are always amazed when she says words that we didn't even know she was familiar with like 'helicopter' - however, she did call it a 'helicopter airplane' which was funny!

More about Ali's developments and the others soon. Must run and figure out dinner and finish a bit more online shopping.