Tuesday, August 19, 2008

We Made it Back Home

Just a very quick message to let you all know that we have returned to Budapest safely! The kids were absolute angels on the long journey (2 flights) home from Dulles airport in D.C. They all slept about a good 4 hours and all 3 slept through the landing which is always fun for mom and dad. We had to nudge Terence and Mia awake so they could not only walk off the flight but also help us carry all our carry on luggage. Mia woke with a bang and burst of energy. I think she was really excited. Terence was in a deep slumber and could barely carry himself off the plane let alone any carry on luggage... I carried Ali while Curt managed most of the carry on. We had a stroller but he had to wait at the airplane door for it for quite a while. Me and the kids walked ahead and waited for him near immigration.

Our first day / night in Budapest went well. Only 1 piece of our 7 suitcases went missing (must have been lost at JFK) but they assured us it will be delivered today.

The children always return home to their rooms and toys like it is Christmas and play non-stop with all their forgotten toys. The girls came home to an extra surprise as they found their new beds waiting for them (photos soon). Ali only slept all day in the taxi ride home; Terence didn't sleep at all and Mia, Curt and I all managed to cat nap at different times throughout the day.

After a long, long bike ride, Ali fell asleep (in her seat on my bike) and Terence fell asleep on the sofa. I put her to bed but she had to go to the bathroom an hour later so woke up. I carried Terence up and when I laid him in his bed I heard little whimpers. I thought he was crying and crawled in next to him asking what was wrong. Happily, I discovered they were not tears but giggles. I asked him what was so funny but he couldn't stop laughing. Finally he paused long enough to say 'I don't know'. Poor little guy had the giggles - probably from being over tired. Sure enough, I got the giggles too and we sat there giggling away like crazy people. Eventually he dozed off.

I thought we were okay as Mia and Ali both got into bed at 10pm. However, Ali woke up crying at about 1am. She probably was confused as to where she was. It woke up Mia and Terence but I managed to comfort Ali and Mia back to sleep. T crawled into our bed while the 3 of us stared at the ceiling for about 2 hours.

Needless to say, it is 10:30am and the Clements household is still very quiet. Curt is off to work and I'm trying. I hope to get out of the door after a quick workout (need it after such a long holiday filled with too much food and beer). The kids are still all asleep but I hope to get them awake soon or else this pattern will continue for weeks.

Pictures are all coming very, very soon. I must unpack our 6 (soon to be 7) suitcases first!