Saturday, October 31, 2009

Fall in Budapest

We returned from Dubai on Thursday evening. We left sunny, warm Dubai to arrive in Vienna to rain and 8 degrees C on October 29th. We returned on the direct Dubai - Vienna flight on Emirates. Emirates is an incredible airline and they really go all out for the kids. Not only does each seat get their own TV on the headrest in front but they can choose from about 100 movies, TV shows, games, music, etc. but they give out tons of presents to the kids. They each got coloring books, colored pencils, hand puppets (we got quite a few camels) and backpacks! They also got really fantastic children's meals and were served before all the adults. The kids loved this treatment! Curt and I enjoyed catching up on a bunch of movies during our two 5+ hour journeys. I especially enjoyed my return trip as I got to watch Julie & Julia (great movie!), The Ugly Truth (entertaining but glad I didn't pay to see it) and The Time Traveler's Wife (loved reading the book about 5 yrs ago).

I still have lots of Dubai photos, stories and videos to share but in the meantime, here is a photo of our trio (with Greta, 11 yrs old and still keeping up with us all) on a beautiful Budapest fall day. After 11 days in the desert, it was nice to return to our green, yellow, orange and red surroundings.

What a contrast to Dubai (photo below taken from Sheikh Zayed Road near the exit to the 'Greens' development)!


I didn't go on the hike as I was busy at home making dinner as we were expecting friends. We had a very appropriate fall meal consisting of Chilli con Carne. Starters were Spinach and Avocado Dip and Bruschetta and we finished with my mom's famous Poppyseed Cake. Yum! We spent the evening playing games by the roaring fire with our friends and all 6 of our kids!
Back to Curt's hike with the kids...
About an hour after they went out, the doorbell rang and I could hear Mia and T shouting out with excitement. I buzzed them in and opened the door to my new Siamese twin!! They thought it was so funny and told me they walked back down the hill like this (probably the last 20 mins of their walk). I thought it was hilarious and jumped for the camera! It surprised me that T wasn't freezing but I think the long hike warmed him up.
Here they are trying to do things while still connected. Curt and I found it amusing (hence this video).