Monday, March 8, 2010

Renovation Time

Okay - this is a really boring blog post but I want to include the before (and after will come soon) of our basement renovation. Actually, I wish I took full photos of the entire area when we moved into our home 7 years and 10 months ago. For those of you that have been here know that we've completely renovated the bathroom downstairs (actually, we've renovated all our home's bathrooms over the years). I love how the downstairs bathroom turned out. It is really nice and everyone who comes and stays with us in our downstairs guest bedroom finds it comfortable.

Since we had the basement water leakage problem repaired last summer, I've been on the hunt for new flooring. The flooring in our home is not one of my favorite features, however, since it costs a fortune to replace it has not been a priority. You may or may not know, but I am not one to make quick decisions when it comes to interior design. Actually, Curt selected the material for our basement's new flooring. My order for new walnut floor boards was almost complete when he suggested cork. Part of me didn't even want to look at another option as I had already spent months hunting, shopping, researching... But, it's not that often Curt gets involved in the interior design of our home so I owed him the time to look into his cork suggestion.

Everything I had read about cork was positive. It's a great product and I had to learn all that I could before I made a decision. Some of cork's benefits when used on floors are: comfort and softness (so great for child's play); noise reduction (again, great for child's play); durability and ease of maintenance; and, some of the most important features for us is it is anti-allergenic and resistant to insects. It also does not rot when wet for a long time and it is fire resistant. Lastly (are you bored yet?) cork does not release any toxic off-gassing when it burns (let's not find out).

Our Wicanders cork tiles are now here and will be laid later this week. I'm very excited! In the meantime, the kids are having a great time in the wide open spaces of our basement (view video below)...