Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Main Street USA

The first photo below was taken about an hour after we checked into our hotel. It's on Main Street USA where there are shops, shops, shops and a few restaurants and cafes. In the background is the famous landmark of Sleeping Beauty's Castle.

The only way into the Disneyland Park is through Main Street USA. The park then is split into 4 sections called: Discoveryland; Fantasyland; Adventureland; and Frontierland

Discoveryland included the famous Space Mountain: Mission 2 that Terence so bravely went on with me. I knew he was nervous as he usually doesn't hold my hand (or at least not in public) but he held it the entire time while we were waiting in line. He kept asking me about the ride. I remembered it from Orlando very clearly. I told him the scariest part about it was that it was in the dark so you couldn't tell where you were going or when you would hit a dip or turn. We sat in the 2nd last seat of the roller coaster. The first hill was fun and I knew he was laughing as this is when they took the automatic photo of us and I saw his big smile afterwards. After this initial descent, we started on a massive incline like a rocket ship getting ready to be launched. We paused here laying on our backs for a good 30 seconds before the ride hit full speed and the thrill began. I couldn't believe how scary and fun it was at the same time. All I kept thinking about was poor Terence who I could not look at because we were strapped in with one of those over the head / shoulder braces. I grabbed his knee and squeezed shouting, "Terence, are you okay?" I'm not sure what I would have done if he said "no" but I still had to ask. I kept squeezing his knee but he never said anything back or sent me any signal of movement indicating he was okay. I was so worried that he had fainted or something terrible had happened. When the ride came to an end I was relieved to see he was conscious and alert. The first words out of his mouth were, "I never want to go on that again!" He wasn't angry he was sounding more humorous than angry. I asked him why he didn't answer me when I was calling out to him during the ride. He gave me the funniest answer. He said, "I was afraid if I talked I would start crying". We both started laughing and gave each other a big hug. He was such a good sport and still says it was the highlight of his trip. Curt and I really thought he would chicken out but he put on a brave face and got on it. I don't think he had any clue that it would be so wild!

Fantasyland was the girls' favorite area. It included the famous "It's a Small World" which was always my favorite ride! We also enjoyed Dumbo the Flying Elephant, Mad Hatter's Tea Cups, Blanche-Neige et les Sept Nains, Les Voyages de Pinocchio (last 2 are Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio but they wrote them in French even the English map).

Adventureland had the famous Pirates of the Caribbean that Curt said he always enjoyed and took Terence on as we thought it maybe a bit too scary for Mia. The biggest rollercoaster, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril was also in this area but it had a height requirement of 1.4o m and Terence is only 1.36 m now. We all enjoyed climbing around La Cabane des Robinson (Swiss family Robinson's tree house) which I remember spending hours exploring when I was a kid. All 3 of the kids loved climbing around this tree, through the tunnels and across the rope bridges.

Lastly was Frontierland that was set up like the wild west. There was only one ride that Terence and Mia went on with Curt. It was the Big Thumber Mountain Rollercoaster that Mia just made the height restriction for. The both loved it.




These were taken on Tuesday (I actually managed to forget my camera on Monday).