Sunday, June 21, 2009

My Green Thumb

After 7 years of living in our home, I finally figured out which window / area of the house to put my orchids in to get them to rebloom!! I'm now rotating them around so when they lose their flowers they get sent up to the front window or T's bedroom window (he's so excited that they like to rebloom in his room) until they get buds. Then, they are brought back into the family room for us to all enjoy (bottom right).

The other flower which I have not moved but is very happy to rebloom on it's own is a beautiful Medinilla. I had never heard of these before but loved it when I saw it. When I bought it (about 1 1/2 years ago) it had a few of these big heavy flowers hanging off of it. The flowers, like the orchids, stayed in bloom for a long time. However, once they died off, the plant, again like the orchid, that remained was not so pretty. I'm so thrilled that it has another flower on it that we are all enjoying. Even the kids get excited when our flowers - both indoor and outdoor - rebloom.



Curt and I recently found a Dogwood tree at the plant nursery. We are so excited as they remind us of the states when we were kids. You don't see many Dogwood trees around here. We've planted the gorgeous tree (about 5 ft tall) and hope that it'll be happy in our garden for years to come....