Thursday, March 27, 2008

Terence Update

Terence is really an unique kid. I wonder if most parents think this way about their kids. He is our oldest child and he will turn 7 in 2 days. He's usually very easy going (like Curt). He's recently started showing a lot of interest in exercising. He sees me exercise often (we have a lot of equipment downstairs) and he also watches Lazy Town. I have never sat through an episode of Lazy Town but I am always nearby when they are watching it and know there is one character who is really in excellent physical shape. His name is Sportacus and he eats right and is very physically active. Additionally, I often talk about what vitamins are in foods and how our plates should be full of colors. We often even compete at dinnertime to see who has more colors on their plate. Terence has become very interested in how his body works, what muscles he has, what foods are best for him, etc, etc, etc. The funniest part about it is he really likes to exercise and he checks out his own muscles (mostly arms and thighs) in the mirror. He tells me about new exercises he has 'invented' (this is one of his most used words) and we try them out together. He cannot lift my dumbells / free weights yet but I found him a pair of light ones that he likes to use. I tell him he has to do them with me because I don't want him injuring himself. I think it is really funny to see him so into his health and fitness at such a young age. I hope it continues at a healthy pace. By the way, Curt and I are very, very careful never to use the word fat in our home so this is not a concern of theirs and we hope that it never becomes one - especially while they are young.

The other thing that pops into my head about Terence is his attire. He has never been like Mia about clothes but about 1 year ago he started preferring shirts and jackets with hoods. He likes to wear his hoods too. He'll wear other shirts (except with collars like golf shirts or button-downs) but he really likes the hooded ones. I've heard other mothers with sons around the same age say the same thing. Not sure where this sense of fashion comes from but think it's a funny quirk.Terence also refuses to wear flip flops. I've tried many times and he just refused. Before the invention of the amazing Crocs, it made beach vacations a bit difficult as he would only wear sneakers. The wildest thing about Terence is he has an European size 37 shoe. This is like a size 5 US! For a 6 year old this is huge!

Sportacus from Lazy Town