Sunday, March 22, 2009

Ballet Hair

Every Saturday morning Mia takes a dance class with a group called the Dance Craze Academy (DCA). She also takes dance every Monday after school from 3pm - 4pm (at school). The DCA is a great group that she's been with for 2 years now and really enjoys it. It's in English and she has a few friends from her school but she also has made friends with a lot of other kids that are American, British, Hungarian, etc. Many of Curt's and my friends' children go to DCA so Mia has met them in other social environments (bbqs, etc). Anyhow, it's a lot of fun and at the end of the year's course they put on a great show. This year's theme is something like Slumber Party or Sleep Over or something. Sandra, who runs the DCA, does a great job so I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Last Saturday they brought in a photographer to get photos of the students in their costumes. The photos will be available for parents at or around the time of the show which is a great souvenir. Last week was a bit of a hectic one for me and I missed Sandra's message about moms having to do the kids' hair at home so they would look nice in their photos. Mia went with Curt with very wild, sloppy hair. Well, we had another chance yesterday. I guess Mia's group only took half their pictures last week and the other half were done yesterday. So, I was prepared to do a nice hairstyle for Mia. I asked her to select a style that she'd like me to do and she asked for a 'real dancer's hairstyle'. She didn't know it was called a bun. I have never attempted a bun before so I went on to youtube.com and found a few helpful how-to videos. It was actually really easy! Here is how it turned out.






I was pleasantly surprised when she returned home with it still in tact (3 1/2 hrs later).