Sunday, January 31, 2010

Back to Snowy Budapest

On Friday I was in Dubai (Curt and I went on Monday, Jan 25th) laying out by the swimming pool. Keep in mind that Friday is weekend in the United Arab Emirates. Their weekend is Friday and Saturday then back to work on Sunday. Curt and I enjoyed my last day in Dubai with a little relaxation and sunshine. And a fab Thai dinner. It's very rare that Curt and I get a dinner alone. Probably only about 5 times per year as we are either with the kids or friends. So, it was great to share our dishes and chat.


On Saturday morning I flew out of Dubai. My taxi arrived at the hotel at 7:30am. Curt was a sweetheart as he got up to walk me down to the taxi. The taxi drive from our hotel in the marina area of Dubai was only about 25 minutes. Since it was weekend, traffic was minimal. To see the distance we had to go, I've found a good map of Dubai below.
The Dubai Marina is just above the green blob and right below the palm on the left hand side. The Dubai airport is the big grey area on the right side. Traffic is often horrendous in Dubai as there are so many people and there are still not a lot of roads.
With online check in, it made my airport experience quick and painless. I enjoyed a hot latte macchiato and a fresh squeezed OJ before boarding my flight to Vienna. Sleep came almost immediately after we took off. I'm one of those lucky ones that have always been able to sleep on planes. After about an hour, I got to enjoy a few videos on my Emirates flight. I recommend one of the movies I watched to everyone. It's called The Invention of Lying. It helps that I think Ricky Gervais is hilarious ...
When we landed in Austria, I was relieved to see little snow on the ground. But, I quickly learned that Budapest had been dumped on. When I turned on my Blackberry, I had lots of text messages and emails from friends telling me to be careful driving. Fortunately I didn't hit any snow until just outside of Budapest. Curt called me a few times worried but when you learn how to drive at 15 years of age in Cleveland, Ohio, snow is second nature. Actually, my brothers probably let me practice driving in icy parking lots from about the age of 13!
It wasn't ice on the Budapest streets that were the problem but the amount of snow everywhere. Fortunately we have a pretty large SUV so I was able to drive over it but quite a few cars were stuck. I kept laughing to myself at the contrast of weather that I went from in just about 9 hours.
The kids were so excited I was home. And, I was also thrilled to be back home with them and the dogs (the cats never came to greet me ;-) Erika took great care of them while I was gone and fortunately we had lots of help from friends, too. Fortunately they were just as tired as I was so we were all fast asleep by about 9pm.
Today, we woke up to it snowing AGAIN! MORE snow. It's beautiful... and, not too cold which is even better. We had to venture out with the dogs and experience it.
I took these with my new camera that Curt generously gave to me for Christmas!



sitting on one of the snow drifts outside our home.
Below is what our home looks like under a blanket of fresh snow.



Look at ALL that snow. And they are not drifts!!






Below are a few views of our neighborhood. Check out the car that had been parked on the side of the street.

My three sweethearts


Kiraly loves the snow. I didn't get one of Greta as she is always sitting on my feet or right next to me... The other four are Blue who I think is just adorable. Especially with his black fur in the pure white snow.