Monday, July 29, 2013

Stop 1 - BAR HARBOR

Curt and I had some meetings planned in the US while the kids were at camp but first I decided to plan a (some what) surprise visit to Maine. Neither of us had been and it was a place I always wanted to visit. It was great to have some 'us' time and not revolving around work or a conference.

The first stop on our trip was Bar Harbor, ME. It was a longer drive (just over 4 hours) from the kids' camp than I had expected. The drive was boring and, as much as we tried looking for wildlife, we saw none.

Our entire vacation throughout Maine was thinking about or talking about the kids and how much they would like so many of the things we were experiencing. To try and ease this frustration, I tried to book hotels and restaurants that we would never take our children to...

 
crossing the sand bar to bar island - only at low tide can you do this and it was very cool.





It was chilly for us... The rain felt great - I have missed that in Dubai...



















I took this photo from our room the next morning (during high tide) to try and show the water covering the sand bar connecting us to Bar Island... It's hard to see due to the building across the way.
I found this photo (below) on the Internet that may give a better idea to what exactly this sand bar looks like during low tide. Really, one of the coolest things I have seen...


This is us on our terrace the day we checked out. It was a gorgeous sunny day. Too bad the previous day wasn't as that was the day we were booked for whale watching and unfortunately (or fortunately) due to bad weather, the tour company canceled our trip and reimbursed us.