Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mia's Birthday - Packed with Fun


It's become a Clements family tradition that for each child's birthday they get to go out alone for dinner to a restaurant of their choice with mom and dad - no siblings. We only start this from around the age of 5 as before this they can't sit still to even eat at a restaurant so it doesn't make sense.

Mia had a difficult time choosing one restaurant as she loves all food. Therefore her request was to go to a 'mommy / daddy restaurant'.

This was a funny request but she really wanted to see where Curt and I go with our friends when we get dressed up and go out. So, we decided on one of our favorites: Tom George on Oktober 6 utca. When I told her that this was the restaurant that I chose she asked me, "Are we going to be able to dance?" I couldn't refrain from laughing and told her that there wasn't dancing as it was a restaurant. She replied, "Well, I want to dance" then asked, "Will there be music? If there's music then we can dance, or at least I can dance next to the table." I told her that would be fine. I realized that she was hoping to go to a Ball. Curt and I often have to go to these charity balls and she sees us get all dressed up and she always asks me what we do at these 'balls'. I usually explain that the night consists of eating and dancing and chatting with friends. This must have been what she had in mind! Again, she's only 5!

However, she first had to wake up to her favorite breakfast (soft boiled eggs and toast) with candles. I thought this video was funny.



I picked her up from school with a bunch of big helium balloons. She asked if she could get her nails done by our friend Eszter before going with me downtown to meet dad. Here we are having her nails done, per her birthday wish.

We had an hour before dinner so I took her to Vorosmarty ter where they just opened a gigantic new H&M. It's quite cheap so I let her pick out a few things totaling an equivalent of about $15. She skipped the clothes, the jewelry and went straight to the makeup. They have a whole section of Hello Kitty make-up, lotions, perfumes that are very kid / preteen oriented. She picked out a small perfume set, a compact with mirror and a lip gloss. Oh, I also got her a little pink makeup bag to put it all in.

We then walked over to Tom George where we met Curt. Mia insisted on sitting at the bar for a drink. She loved the big bowl of peanuts and couldn't believe they just gave them to us for free!
We brought several of her gifts to the restaurant to open. She was so thrilled. She was the hit amongst the waitresses as she tried so hard to act like a little grown up. One of her presents was a box of bangles that we got in India. She put them all on and showed them off to all the girls in the restaurant!


After dinner they surprised her with ice cream, a big flaming candle and the Happy Birthday song on the load speakers. The whole restaurant clapped for her at the end. She blushed and giggled.




It's good to see she's still such a kid and needed to run around after all the sitting still in the 'mommy / daddy restaurant'!