Thursday, March 6, 2008

I Scream... You Scream... We all Scream for

ICE CREAM!

I know this cannot be an inherited trait but I'm sure every parent just about falls off their chair when they see one of their kids copying a certain childhood behavior. The other night I witnessed Mia eating her ice cream the same way as I did when I was a kid. It was an art. A very slow and passionate art form to eating ice cream. While I was cleaning up the dinner dishes (we had beef teriyaki with lots of vegetables that the kids all helped me cook and then we all devoured - very yummy), I heard Terence sort of get irritated with Mia and say something like, "just eat it, Mia!" He's right, I try to discourage playing with food but my ears perked up to try and hear what was bothering him. She explained that she was making soup. Sure enough, she mixed her sprinkles in (I was never so lucky to get sprinkles ... or paint Easter eggs - have I already mentioned that ;-) and was stirring her ice cream into a soft smooth 'soup' like consistency. She wasn't even eating any of it until it was exactly the way she wanted it. I had to laugh. It brought floods of ice cream eating memories back to me. I remember doing the same thing! I never ate my ice cream until it was the same consistency and I could pat it out flat in my bowl. My odd ice cream eating habits got stranger as I had to pretend it was a birthday cake and I was frosting it then eating slice by slice. I explained this to Mia and she loved the idea! She couldn't believe she had never thought of this... What a funny evening it was for me to swap strange ice cream eating practices with my daughter!