Monday, November 24, 2008

More Snow in Budapest

It is a winter wonderland in Budapest at the moment. I arrived home from work at about 6:30pm and this is what I arrived to: our home and street covered with snow (I had a camera with me). It was so beautiful but also a bit spooky. The roads were a nightmare. Accidents and cars slip sliding all over the place. I think the snow surprised some vehicle owners as they must have still had on their summer tires. Fortunately, not only does my beast of a car handle itself perfectly in this weather but I learned how to drive up in Cleveland in these conditions with a significantly lesser reliable vehicle. I wasn't worried about my car losing control but I was worried that all the other cars on the road that were losing control were going to run into me. I felt like I was in a video game trying to dodge them all.

I arrived home and called Curt to ask him how he was going to ride his bike home in these conditions. My husband has not missed a day to / from work on his bike in about 3 years. Other than an ice storm last year, I believe this was one of the hardest bicycling evenings he's experienced. He walked in the door just past 9pm just shaking his head. It took him 2 hours of riding uphill in the icy snow. What a hunk of a man!!